Monday, August 27, 2012

20 Albums For 2012 - #18 - Yeasayer - Fragrant World


I have to admit that Yeasayer was not originally planned to be in this top 20 list. The album just came out last Tuesday. And I'm already in love with it. In fact, by the end of the year, it's likely to make it higher than my number 18 album of the year, but for now, it's going in this space. Originally, S. Carey's new album, "All We Grow", was scheduled to be in this slot, and I'm mentioning it as an honorable mention because it is a damn good album. S. Carey is a member of Bon Iver and if you're a fan of Bon Iver, you'll most likely be a fan of his as well.

But now we're going to talk about Yeasayer. Oh Yeasayer how I love you. Yeasayer was NOT a band I loved on first listen. They had to grow on me, but they really grew on me like a tattoo once they did. And I just love their sound now. It's hard to describe Yeasayer's sound. They're highly unique, extremely danceable, have a slight throwback to the 80's and have a heavy tribal theme to their music. And they're a bit bizarre. That's what I love about them.

My favorite album of there's would change on a daily basis. In fact, right now, I can argue any one of their now three albums as my favorite. Each are very different, but very them at it's heart. I like it when an artist evolves but keeps the essence of who they are to their music. When they don't try to change so much that they're unrecognizable from their last album, or even from their first album.

Here's Yeasayer's first single from Fragrant World, "Henrietta". As with the previous posts, if you're interested in winning this album, just leave a comment letting me know so! In fact, NO ONE has shown any interest in any of the albums I've posted about so far, so your odds are pretty good for winning the album of your choice that I've reviewed for August. Other albums up for grabs are listed below after the video.

#19 - Rihanna - Talk That Talk
#20 - Diplo - Express Yourself (EP)

1 comment:

Debi said...

I like that song a lot! You've actually sent me a couple of their other songs on CDs before, and it sort of surprises me how much I enjoy them. :P They are the band that does Rome, right? Love that song!