Monday, February 26, 2007

Tim Sale: The Artist behind Heroes


Just a couple of hours ago I wrote a post about Heroes and mentioned the painter, Tim Sale who does Isaac's art. After a very helpful comment from Carl V., I discovered that I knew this artist and didn't even know that I knew him.

Tim Sale is a comic book artist that is brilliant! I know him from the Daredevil: Yellow mini series. I picked this series up a few years back from the local comic shop and I've always loved it. I've gone back to it quite a few times. The art stood out to me back then. I thought it was wonderful, and see now that Tim Sale is in fact a wonderful artist.

I also discovered a book that he did called Spiderman: Blue. Had no idea about this one. Must have come out right after I decided that I was spending too much money on comics and sadly closed my folder at the local shop. Spiderman's always been my favorite since I was a little kid and unfortunately I lost track of all the spin off books a few years back. I'll be picking up the TPB through Amazon. He's also done books on Catwoman, Batman (The Long Halloween looks great even though I'm not a DC fan), The Hulk: Gray, and has an art book out called Tim Sale: Black & White which chronicles many of his paintings and sketches.

Now that I think about it, I have made a few exceptions to my "no DC" stance when it comes to Batman. Arkham Asylum was great with fabulous artwork by the wonderful Dave McKean.

My prediction is that Heroes will release an art book with Isaac/Tim's work. I'd definitely buy that (wink wink to the NBC executives). I love discovering (or re-discovering) new artists!

2 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I hope they release a Sale artbook for Heroes as well.

I think you'll like the Spiderman book.

TheAverageMan said...

The "Black & White" art book is now back in print, with a new section on Heroes! There's preview pages at CBR and more details on Tim's site.