Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Things coming full circle

Wow...this is just blowing my mind....

First a little background info for those who don't know Chris (me).

In 1998, I was expelled from my high school for being around (and using) drugs. This is what ultimately led me to become a counselor, specifically a counselor who wants to work with children and adolescents. I had a hard time with those years and came out pretty damn good... at least I would like to think. I also think that the hard times that I went through give me an empathetic edge on some of the competition.

So today I get an email from one of my professors in my program. She emailed a lady telling her that she thinks that I would be an excellent candidate for a certain job opening and that she highly recommends me. Well I find out that the job she wants me to apply for is THE GUIDANCE COUNSELOR POSITION AT THE SCHOOL THAT I GOT KICKED OUT OF!!! Talk about weird.

So I emailed the lady at "the school I got kicked out of" and basically told her that I wanted to be honest with her upfront and understood that my unique situation could disqualify me from the job. But I also told her that my unique situation puts a unique spin on my being a school counselor for young guys. I told her what I've learned over the years and how I have a strong desire to help kids not end up where I did. Or if they're heading that way, hopefully turn them around.

So now I'm VERY anxiously awaiting her reply. I won't be disappointed if she says that I can't work there, but it would be pretty damn cool to go full circle to the place that actually helped me decide to do what I want to do now.

4 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

What irony! If that is the place you're supposed to be then I really hope it works out for you and that they let you know quickly. That would be a very interesting situation!!!

chrisa511 said...

Wouldn't it though! I don't know what to think of this twist of fate. Is it a good thing? a bad thing? or kinda in between? We'll find out. I'll keep everyone posted ;)

Literacy-chic said...

You would do an excellent job; your prof is right! I will root for you if you think you would be happy doing it! (Which I think you could.) But do you think it would be hard to break out of the high school scene once you were in? It might not matter, but it's something to consider, and the Ph.D. could be your excuse (or means) to break out when/if you wanted/were ready to do so.

Just curious--what would your thoughts be about working at a Catholic school? And even less relevant curiosity--are there still clergy teaching there?

Very interesting!

chrisa511 said...

Thanks Nicole. I do think I'd be happy working there. I probably wouldn't be there for too long though. My ultimate goal is to have my own private counseling business. In order to do that I need to get my LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) and in order to get your LPC you need 2000 hours of supervision. So I'd probably only be there a year or two while I work on my licensure.

I would be happy working at a Catholic school. I went to Catholic school from kindergarten through my Junior year of high school and I loved it. I also think that spirituality plays a large part in who we are and how therapy can work. So this is really the perfect place for me to put my ideas on therapy into practice. Not that I would have holy-roller counseling sessions; just that meditating, praying, whatever you want to call it for whatever religion you are can play a large role in the recovery process. I think that self-reflection is in itself a form of spirituality. For a person to honestly step back and examine themselves is a huge undertaking and can really change a person's life. I feel that I got that experience from Brother Martin and I want to be able to give that back to kids without them having to do drugs and get kicked out of school to realize it. So all in all, I think I would very much like to work in a Catholic school. You have the backbone of faith there to help you out in most kids.

I don't know if there are still clergy teaching there. I want to say that there are, but I'm not really sure. I'll let you know when I find out.