Monday, January 31, 2011

Sweet Tooth by Jeff Lemire (Vols. 1 & 2)

So you guys have to go out and read this one right now. How's that for starting out a review? :p I know...we all need another graphic novel SERIES like we need a hole in the head, but this one is really good. Even better than I thought it would be. Debi actually recommended this one to me back in August when I went to visit her and I bought volume one then, but it's been sitting on my shelf unread until this past week. WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG??? It's a fantastic concept and it's pulled off perfectly. Nine year old Gus is a mutated form of animal/human hybrid living in the woods with his father. He's half deer and half human. Gus's father has always told him that he must never leave the woods, for there are sinners out there that will do horrible things to him...that he is a special sort of person...that there was a sickness spread across the world by God to punish the sinners of the world and rid the world of them. And Gus is safe with his father. Until his father dies. Shortly after his father dies, Gus comes across a violent man who we soon learn has a story of his own. Gus doesn't know if he can trust this man or not, but the man promises to take him to a sanctuary where there are other kids like him....other animal/human hybrids. Gus sees the world for the first time...sees the cruelty of humanity, sees the death and devastation that has spread throughout the world due to whatever disease has claimed everyone's lives...a disease that we are still not aware of as readers. And soon Gus learns that he is someone that many people want to get their hands on. I was SO captured by this series in just the first two issues. And I've already preordered Volume three. I've sort of been over dystopian books lately, but this one really works for me. Gus reminds me somewhat of Todd from Chaos Walking in a way. I just love him to death. He's so innocent and has a kind way of looking at the world and it's constantly challenged by the world he discovers. It's his accent too that reminds me of Todd :p In a very fantastical way, this book tackles very real issues. Issues of genetic modification, religion, power, politics, chaos, love, family, betrayals. It's illustrated in a style that's often very gritty...not always beautiful. But that runs perfectly with the story. Can't wait to see where this story heads.

No comments: