Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

catchingCatching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins 2009 400 Pages 5/5 Spoiler Free Review!!! I think it would be fair to say that Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, the sequel to The Hunger Games is probably the most anticipated book of the year. A lot comes with this kind of anticipation. We always hope for the absolute best but can't imagine how it could possibly live up to the original. We risk our hopes being crushed by a book that's less than stellar. We just hope that the book doesn't turn the wrong direction. I can assure you that you need not worry with Catching Fire. In my personal opinion, it surpasses The Hunger Games. The most I can tell you really about the sequel without giving away anything from the original is that it takes place shortly after the conclusion of The Hunger Games and there is another games. Like the first novel in the series, this one is tragic at times. Heart breaking really. In some ways even more heartbreaking than the first. There are characters that we love dearly that are tortured throughout this novel both physically and emotionally. The scary thing about this novel is that it echoes so much of what's going on in the world today as we see countries that suffer under a dictator continue to live in misery. Collins has given all readers a true gift with this series. It's a feat not easily accomplished to write something so powerful. I really haven't seen this kind of comraderie with a series since the Harry Potter series and it's refreshing to have it again. And I have to say that I love these novels and the characters as much as I did the Harry Potter series. I just wish it were going to be 7 books long rather 3 :p I don't know that there's that much more that I can tell you about this book, except for that I don't see many people being disappointed when it's released. It has everything that the first book had, but it also has more substance and more emotions put into it than the first. I didn't have any qualms with the ending this time. I loved the ending actually. My heart did not stop beating for the last 20 or so pages. Truly an amazing book and I can't wait for all of the reviews of it to start pouring in.

No comments: