Monday, June 22, 2009

Catch Up Time = 3 Mini Reviews

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to do these books justice, but I shall try in one paragraph per book! You see, I'm horrible at remmebering details about books for longer than a week. But here goes nothing. 210 Love Begins in Winter by Simon Van Booy This is Simon Van Booy's second collection of short stories and they're just as beautiful as his first book, The Secret Lives of People in Love. Van Booy has a true gift with words. I'm sure I said the same thing, in fact, during my review of his first book. Love Begins in Winter consists of five short stories that focus around the subject of love in it's various forms. They range from the whimsical, to touching, to heart wrenching, to uplifting. He's one of those authors that you just sort of drool over at the cleverness of his writing. Not clever in a funny way, but clever in a "how the hell does he write this well" way. His writing is subtle, yet it just attacks the heart. As with all short story collections, there are some that I liked more than others, but overall, it was another fantastic collection! Willow by Julia Hoban I just loved this book! It's a wonderful story, but it's a very sad one. After a horrible accident, Willow has taken much of the 112blame upon herself. The flood of emotions is too strong for her so instead of dealing with emotional pain, she resorts to physical pain by cutting herself. She feels as though her life is worthless until she meets a guy named Guy in the library where she works. Guy tries everything he can to help Willow see that there are other options, but Willow is stuck in a haze that is hard to come out of. This book was written just perfectly and gives a great insight into depression and how deep it can go. The characters felt extremely authentic to me and I could tell that Hoban had truly researched the subject matter. Great read! The Dead Girl's Dance by Rachel Caine 31Such a fun series. This is the second book in the Morganville Vampire Series and I just had to go out and buy the third after I finished this one. The book starts off immediately where the first one left, so I can't really talk about the plot much. But it continues to be filled with vampire yumminess and the ultra cool gang of humans that live in the Glass House. It's a tad bit predictable, but I consider these my escape reads, so it's all good. One thing I love so much about this series is that the characters are so great. I truly feel as if I know all of them and I'm spending time with friends when I read this series. That's it for today...tomorrow, I'll be back with my spoiler free review of Catching Fire, the sequel to The Hunger Games!

No comments: