Friday, January 16, 2009

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

twilightTwilight by Stephenie Meyer 498 pgs. 2005 Rating: 4.0/5 Ok, I have to admit it....I absolutely loved this book and if you haven't read it yet, you really should. Don't be mad :p Twilight was a book that I resisted for a long time, mostly because it was the "cool thing." This is the same reason that I don't read the "Oprah's Book Club" books. When I do read the Oprah books, I usually like those too. Though I couldn't even begin to like Edgar Sawtelle, on of the last ones she did. I don't know why I shy away from popular books. I guess it's just me trying to be some cool, bad ass, rebel guy, but in the end, they all get me. Though I never shied away from Harry Potter. Always loved those. Twilight combines three of my favorite things: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, and Vampires. Seriously...what's not to love. I'm sure that most of you know the details of Twilight already, so I won't go into too much depth. But for those who don't, it's the story of Bella, who moves away from her mother to a quiet town up north called Forks. On her first day at the new school, she sees a boy sitting with a group of the most beautiful and mysterious people she's ever seen. The boy's name is Edward, and he's a vampire. They fall in love, both constantly intrigued by each other, and much danger and excitement ensues. It's not a perfect novel. There are so many cliches in this book that it's not funny, but honestly, I didn't mind them much. Things happen in the novel that would never happen in reality. A convenience of sorts. But there's way more good than bad in this one. Meyer can write a damn good story! She kept me turning the pages until my eyes would literally just not stay open any more. I thought all of her characters were excellent and despite everyone's annoyance with Bella, I actually found her likeable. Perhaps that will change with the future books, but I thought she was a great main character. Will I be reading the sequels? Well yeah! I have to now. I've found my self enamored by these characters and really want to follow them on their journey. Maybe not an A+ here, but definitely an A. And guys out there, don't be afraid of this book. Yes there's romance in it, and it's a bit sappy (just a little) at times, but there's enough adventure and intrigue in this one for anyone!

No comments: