Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte

enslaved1Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte 308 pgs. 2003 4.25/5 Are you an animal lover? Does your love for animals go beyond filling the food and water bowls and occasionally scratching your animal's head? If so, then you will fall in love with this book. I was expecting a treat after reading Bookfool's review of this book, but ended up enjoying it even more than I thought I would. If you've ever let out a little giggle at your animal's behavior, worried sick over an odd behavior, or even just enjoyed the idea of owning an animal, you're in for a treat with this book. Enslaved by Ducks is the story of Bob Tarte and his wife Linda who moved from the big city to a quiet country town. It all started when they decided to buy a rabbit. They kept Binky, the rabbit, as a house pet and let him roam freely throughout the house. He was less than friendly. But they fell in love with him anyway in that odd way that we do. What followed was a slew of animals to come. By the end of the book, the Tarte's own rabbits, parrots, doves, parakeets, cats, ducks (many ducks), geese, and turkeys...and I'm sure I'm leaving something out. They begin to feel hopeless really...they know that they really don't need another animal, but everytime one becomes available they just don't have the heart to say no. This is a story about the love of animals and our devotion to them. We experience the loss of some of Bob's beloved pets with him, we accompany him on very strange trips to the vet, and we learn some fascinating behavior! I assure you that after you read this book, you'll never look at animals in quite the same light again. Their behaviors are just fascinating and smile inducing and I've been looking at birds especially in a whole different light. I hope you do check this one out. It's a delightful story! You can learn more about all of Bob's animals and see photos and videos of them on his website. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I also wanted to remind everyone to head on over to the Dewey's Books Challenge blog to find out all of the information on Robin's knitting challenge and Carl's sci-fi challenge. There's some fun stuff going on right now!! Also, don't forget to enter my giveaway if you haven't yet...I'm drawing a winner Saturday night. Finally, I apologize for not commenting on blogs for the last couple of days...work has been so busy lately that when I get home, I just pass out! I'll be around now though!

No comments: