Sunday, November 30, 2008

Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix

found1Found is the first book in a new series by Margaret Peterson Haddix called The Missing. I first read about this one on Becky's blog and knew right away that I had to have it. Very interesting new addition to the catalog of young adult literature with a huge cliffhanger that had me wanting the next book in the series now! The book opens at an airport. A plane has suddenly arrived in it's dock that mystifies everyone. There's no knowledge of the plane by the air traffic crew, no one can track it, and it's showing up in a dock where no plane belongs. To top off the mystery, there's no pilot to the plane and the passengers consist of 36 babies. Creepy start, huh? Fast forward thirteen years and we meet Jonah, a young boy of 13 who was adopted as a child with loving parents and a somewhat annoying sister. While playing basketball one day with his friend Chip he discovers a letter that's addressed to him in a plain white envelope. The letter reads: "You are one of the missing". At first they believe it to be a prank, but things suddenly turn odd when his friend Chip receives the same letter and finds out much to his dismay that he too is adopted by parents not so loving and caring as Jonah's. More letters arrive at the house with more ominous and frightening messages and it becomes clear that something has to be done, some investigating needs to start happening. What they find out leads them on a path that is truly unbelievable and becomes more and more bizarre. Honestly, I was disappointed by some of the book, but the ending more than made up for what I thought it lacked. My biggest complaint was not the story itself. I thought that the plot and the characters were both excellent, though maybe the characters could've been fleshed out a bit more. What bothered me was the writing. I understand that this is a young adult book, but considering the theme and what I'd believe the target audience should be, I found the writing a bit juvenile at times and things sometimes fit together too perfectly...or maybe there were too many things that just fell into place a bit too well. But I feel like she really stepped it up with the last few chapters. Her writing seemed to get better, the plot sped up even more, and it left me dying to know more. So I have really high hopes for the next book in the series! Don't forget to check out my wishlist giveaway post!! Deadline to enter is Saturday December 6th!

No comments: