Thursday, August 14, 2008

When Twilight Burns by Colleen Gleason

I've been a fan of Colleen Gleason's Gardella Vampire Chronicles since book one was released, but never so much as now after reading When Twilight Burns, the fourth book in the series. It's hard to review the fourth book in a series without spoiling the previous three, so I'll give you my basic thoughts and a few key elements. For those unfamiliar with the series, it follows Victoria Gardella, a born Venator...hunter of vampires, as she seeks out and destroys the undead in 19th century London. Mix in some romance, incredible writing, edge of your seat action, and some of the most memorable characters, and you have the Gardella Vampire Chronicles; what some have described as Buffy meets Jane Austen. This book finds Victoria facing a new challenge - there's evidence that a vampire is attacking openly in the daylight, something she's never before had to face. Anybody could be that vampire seeing as the potion used to enable an undead to walk in the daylight also masks the vampire from a venator. There is also the continuous battle for Victoria's affection between Max and Sebastian and towards the end of the book, I believe we have an idea of where that will end, and of course Colleen didn't disappoint me. Or maybe she will, you never know with her ;) The best thing about this book in my opinion is the big dysfunctional reunion. That's what this book felt like and it worked absolutely perfectly. We see characters from past books make appearances here and of course I won't go any further than that in giving any details, but it couldn't have been written any more perfectly! Seriously, it was just wonderfully done and my heart was just beating non-stop from page one to page 356 (yes, that includes the sneak peak of book 5). The action was intense, the romance was steamy, the characters were incredibly real and believable as always. Now onto book 5 which comes out in March 2009 :/ I can't wait, but at the same time I can because I know that sadly it'll be the last of this series. It'll no doubt be another great one though.

No comments: