Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Translator by Daoud Hari

The Translator is a book that took me completely by surprise. I've heard it praised by many people, but it's one of those books whose power evades you until you actually pick it up and read it. For those who don't know, it's written by Daoud Hari, a native of Darfur, who served as a translator to the media during the ongoing genocide crisis in Darfur. Before reading this book I was aware of the genocide in Darfur, but I have to admit that I didn't have much of a knowledge base on everything going on over there and just how bad things actually are. Daoud Hari tells us how bad things actually are over there and asks for our support. He tells horrifying tales of rape, torture, and whole villages being destroyed. But you would be surprised when you read this book because Hari brings such a ray of light, such a voice of hope to the whole situation. He tells his story from his heart and in the midst of tragedy he unveils a smile and a little humor. He can certainly look at tragedy with a much more positive gleam for the future than I could. But with so much tragedy around you, I guess you would have to in order to go on. I sometimes actually forgot that I was reading a work of nonfiction while reading this book. There are two main reasons why. 1. Hari writes in a way that is so riveting and so personal that you are completely drawn into the story he is sharing. He portrays his emotions perfectly and really throws the reader into a situation. Secondly and most importantly, I just can't believe that things so evil actually exist in our world. It nearly brought me to tears to know that as I was reading this book these horrible acts were being comitted in Africa. I commend Hari for being brave enough to speak against the Sudanese rebels and to reveal as much as he did about the horrors going on in Darfur. It's something that needs to be shared and something that the world needs to be made aware of. It's something that needs to be stopped. I highly recommend this quick little read that won't take any of your time if you haven't already read it. It's heartbreaking, but important and surprisingly uplifting at moments. This is yet another read for the Irresistible review challenge thanks to Debi. I had read many reviews of this one, but it was hers that finally convinced me that I had to read it!

No comments: