Friday, January 19, 2007

Dramamine and Round 1

I was driving to the internship this morning and listening to CNN on the XM Radio and happened to hear some story where they mentioned Dramamine. The story was related to motion sickness, but didn't catch it all. I was on my way to getting coffee so I wasn't totally awake, but snapped into it when they mentioned Dramamine. Why? I don't know. I have never had motion sickness. Never really knew what motion sickness felt like aside from knowing that people tend to get nauseous. Well lo and behold, I got motion sickness for the first time in my life today every time I was in my car after that. Psychosomatic maybe? I don't know. If I were to acknowledge that it may be psychosomatic, wouldn't that be enough to make it not psychosomatic? Or does that even make sense. Either way, I don't like it and am hoping that it was only a one day thing, or perhaps a stomach bug that only happened the three times I was in my car. We shall see tomorrow.

Round 1 of the work week is over and Round 2 has begun. The first round was great. I really like my internship. The clients are great (in their own way), the staff is OK (but kinda cranky), and the food is horrible. But I can bring my lunch, so that part's taken care of. I feel like I've learned alot just in my first week. I'm already leading the child's group by myself...don't know if that's a good thing, but I enjoy it.

It's very hard to do group counseling with a bunch (6) of eight year old boys. I find that unfortunately, I spend much of the time telling them to sit down or to give me the kleenex that they are throwing around the room, or to stop yelling at the top of their lungs. But once you can get them to calm down, things run somewhat smooth. I usually have about 2 boys who want to talk and work their way through their issues, and from the others I get one word answers (even to open ended questions) or sometimes just shrugs. But they know I'm spending at least 5 minutes on each of them regardless of whether they talk or not, so they'll usually talk to me a little. They also like to see how far they can go with testing my patience. Luckily I have the patience of a statue...at least on a psyc unit I do, which is very lucky for me. But I love it. They're all really good kids that are going through alot of tough stuff in their lives. Hopefully I can make a little bit of a difference so that they don't end up in the hospital again.

So that's round 1. Round 2 started immediately after round 1. Round 2 is my paid job, and I'm very upset that I'm working so much this weekend. I've already worked 36 hours this week, and now (friday through sunday) I'm adding another 30 hours to that. Add my 3 hour class on tuesday night and I'm at about a 69 hour work week. In the words of Stevie..."don't like it"

No comments: