Sunday, August 12, 2012

A Bad Bad Bloggers Post

Oh folks, I have all of the entertainment you hall need for your Sunday night, I swear. I've been a bad bad boy this week. I've taken in WAY too many books this week. So many in fact, that I won't even be posting all of the pictures because then I'll just piss everyone off because you'll be scrolling so much in your google reader due to all of the pictures. So if you really want to see the book covers, you can head over to my librarything profile and click on the "recently added" tab. Without further ado, here are the many books that have come into my house in just this last week along with the blame attached. To my defense, bookcloseouts.com had some killer prices which were responsible for 15 of these:

1. The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche - I've just really been wanting to read something of hers for SO long and her covers are just gorgeous. (Bought it)

2. Outside the Dog Museum by Jonathan Carroll - Just because it's Jonathan Carroll (Bought it)

3. Robbing the Bees by Holley Bishop - Aha! I get to blame someone for this one!! I love bees. I really do. So many people are deathly afraid of them, but I think they're such amazing creatures and I love them so much and sadly we're doing so much damage to them. Jeane reviewed this one and made me want it badly. So a point to Jeane for this one! (Bought it)

4. The Earth Moved by Amy Stewart - Another point! I probably would've bought this one anyway eventually because I just love every topic that Amy Stewart writes about, but Ms Beth Fish wrote about this one and made it sound irresistible! Point to Beth! (Bought it)

5. Menagerie by Sharon Montrose - OMG y'all this is just the most ADORABLE little photography book. I reviewed this one already because I couldn't help just going right into it as soon as I got it. I wanted it immediately after Nancy, the Bookfool reviewed it, so a point to Nancy for this one :) (Bought it)

6. Eight White Nights by Andre Aciman - Fell in love with Andre Aciman's writing after reading a book of his last year and when I found this one on bookcloseouts, I knew it would have to be one of my holiday reads of the year this year. So excited I don't know if I'll be able to wait!! (Bought it)

7. Wildwood: A Journey Through Trees by Roger Deakin - This is one of those books that just cracks me up. Or rather it cracks me up how easily Ana can influence me to buy books. She got this for Christmas and I trust her so much on what she reads that I automatically research ANY list of books that she posts...including her Christmas list. This one went on the list because of that and because of that has now come home to me. So a point to Ana for this one :p (Bought it)

8. The Search for Wondla by Tony DiTerlizzi - Well this one is both Debi AND Max's fault!!! The two of them read this together and then coreviewed it and it just sounded like such an amazing little book that I knew I would want to read it. So onto my TBR pile it has gone :) Point to Debi and Max! (Bought it)

9. Woman With a Worm in Her Head by Pamela Nagami - Her books just sound so awesome and when I found this one...well yeah..another one I HAD to have :p (Bought it)

10. What They Always Tell Us by Martin Wilson - NERDS HEART YA'S FAULT! I've been wanting this one ever since the tournament and now I finally have it. Point to Nerds <3 YA. (Bought it)

11. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente - Just been wanting to read this one for awhile and now I can :) (Bought it)

12. The Distance Between Us: A Memoir by Reyna Grande - I actually DIDN'T buy this one. This is actually a review copy that was sent to me and it sounds quite good! (Review copy)

13. Undercover by Beth Kephart - It's Beth Kephart...anyone care to guess who's fault this one is? Yep! It's Amy's fault! Point to Amy! (Bought it)

14. Slow Love by Dominique Browning - Every now and then The Fabulous Beekman Boys put out a list of books they're reading or books they think people should read and this was one of them :) I'm super excited about this one because it really does sound great! And the cover is just beautiful! Point to The Fabulous Beekman Boys. (Bought it)

15. The Waters and the Wild by Francesca Lia Block - It was a Block title that was SO cheap! I had to get it :p (Bought it)

16. In the Company of my Solitude: American Writing From The AIDS Pandemic by Marie Howe - After reading a collection of Marie Howe's poetry, I wanted everything she had written. So I added it all to my Paperbackswap wishlist. My turn finally came up for this one and I was SO thrilled!! (Paperbackswap)

17. Lottery by Patricia Wood - Um, Debi's review of this one recently made me want it IMMEDIATELY!!! She made it sound so incredible. So I went and looked on Paperbackswap and they had it!! Point to Debs! (Paperbackswap)

18. The Tempest by William Shakespeare - Yes I have the Tempest already and yes, my blog name is taken from a line from the Tempest but I found this line of Shakespeare books that Penguin published when I was searching for the vintage penguin books that I want to start collecting! Almost ALL of them were available on Paperback swap and I've ordered almost all of them :p They're quite nice! (Paperback Swap)

19. Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman - I was actually SHOCKED that I didn't have a copy of Leaves of Grass already. Some of my favorite poems come from it. I was introduced to it and high school and once had a copy but it was apparently taken away by Katrina :( But I have a new one now thanks to Paperback Swap :) (Paperbackswap)

20. Talk About Good by The Junior League of Lafayette - This is THE classic cookbook of New Orleans and it's one that you'll find on pretty much everyone's shelf. Me and Matt went to downtown Covington (our neighboring city) today and found an antique shop where I found a gorgeous old and lovingly worn copy of this book and knew I had to have it. It reminded me of my mom and my gram's kitchen. I've seen this book in so many kitchens in my life. It has all of the staples of New Orleans cooking in it. Added bonus, this particular copy had some extra handwritten recipes tucked inside by it's previous owner :) Guess I can blame Mom for this one so a point to Mom! (Bought it)

21. How to be Good by Nick Hornby - I went to the Goodwill store after Matt went to work looking for old Penguins and of course they had none. But they did have books for 25 cents each! So I bought four :p This was one! (Bought it)

22. The Gingerbread Rabbit by Randall Jarrell - This was another one of those 25 cent books and I am SO enamored by it!! It's from 1975 and has such wonderful illustrations. I fell in love with Jarrell after reading his book The Bat Poet a few years back. Such a wonderful little book. Hope I love this one as much :) (Bought it)

23. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood - Gorgeous hardcover copy of this one for a quarter!!!! I feel like I should be able to blame someone for this one but I can't remember who? :( Will you take the blame? :p (bought it)

24. Moon-Watch Summer by Lenore Blegvad - I haven't even heard of this book, but I fell in love with the title and the illustrations are beautiful. And it was twenty five cents. And it's one of those wonderful little old books with lots of character :) (Bought it)

25. Voluntary Madness by Norah Vincent - I almost forgot this one! In fact I'm editing this post to add it!! My friend Sharon who makes my coffee every day recommended this one too me and I did everything I could to find it and find it I finally did!! It's AMAZING so far. About a woman who voluntary commits herself to three different psychiatric hospitals to examine what our mental health system is all about. Point to Sharon! (Bought it)

Now I'm off to actually READ some of these!!! Oh, and if you need some art, I've given in to the man and put some of my photos up on instacanv.as Not that I think they're anything special or that they'll sell really, but it's a really NEAT place to find unique art and I actually don't think their prices are that bad! So:

9 comments:

Bellezza said...

Well, you are a bad boy with such a long list, but who could ever be mad at you?!

I didn't like Oryx and Crake by Atwood, a strange thing because I love her earlier stuff. But, because you're more of a fantasy/sci-fi reader than I am you'll probably be able to appreciate it far better than I did.

Debi said...

LOL--I was beginning to think this list was going to go on indefinitely! But damn, my friend, it sounds like you got some awesome books so I can't really fault you one bit! :D I've wanted The Thing Around Your Neck since it came out--it's been on my paperbackswap wish list since, and I'm really surprised I haven't broken down and bought it yet. I love what you said about Ana--I do the same thing!

Btw, I can't wait to tell Max he got a point! Gray was soooooooooo thrilled by the whole thing when I told him about how he got a point before. :P

Susan said...

LOL I feel so much better for all the books you brought in, because I definitely have been trying to cut back (with little success). *whew* thanks for this, Chris! You are on bad blogger all on your own....I hope you enjoy all the books. I thnk Ana should open up her library for us to view in virtual space, we just go out and buy copies of what she owns, because when she reviews them we all run out and buy copies anyway! lol

Jeane said...

I always feel so tickled when my name comes up in your bad bloggers post! And really like the new photo of you in that hat.

Snowball said...

I love bees!

One of my greatest joys this year was that my garden was full of bees. I never knew there were so many different kinds. (I wish I had a good camera to capture the wonders the garden provided this year.)

I started researching bee keeping and made plans to launch a new hobby when I found that, at least in CA, you can't keep bees within city limits unless you are a farmer. My little garden just doesn't qualify for farm status.

Needless to say, my hopes were dashed.

Oh. I see some books on your list that I'm interested in. Who's the bad blogger?

Ana S. said...

If you want to read Wildwood together at some point, just drop me a line! It's been gathering dust on my shelves since Christmas :P

Kailana said...

Enjoy your haul of books!!

DesLily said...

omg chris.. lol.. you coulda paid your rent with that many books! lol lol.. I do love when you go overboard though... because I see a smile on your face a mile wide when you open that box!

Bookfool said...

Just got a book that you'll want - Paris in Color. If I did Bad Blogger Points, Bellezza would get the blame. It's a lot like Menagerie in that it's photography but it's *totally* wordless. Total eye candy.

I went to look at your Instacanvas gallery. Oh. I think those lizards are doing something rude. ;)

Happy reading!