Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

I honestly did not expect to like this book as much as I did. I really don't know why...I mean it's Maureen Johnson...but for some reason, I thought it was just going to be so so...and it does start off a little slow, but STICK WITH IT!! This might be my new favorite series out there. And that's saying a lot. My biggest disappointment in this book was the cliffhanger ending and my need for the second book right now! Johnson's heroine in this book is Aurora, a young girl from Louisiana. Yeah, liked that right off the bat. And Aurora is an AMAZING character. She's moved to a boarding school in England when her parents decide to move there. Rory has never seen anything like it...it's like something straight out of a Victorian novel. Her fears are quickly subdued when she meets her roommate, Jazza and they hit it off pretty much right away. But all is not sunshine and roses. There's a killer on the loose in the vicinity of her new school. A killer that is killing in the shadows of Jack the Ripper. There are strict rules put in place as to when they can leave the school and where they're allowed to go. But it wouldn't be a boarding school YA novel if those rules weren't broken. On one of the nights that the new Ripper is supposed to attack, Rory and Jazza sneak out to the boys dorm roof to get a bird's eye view of the town. When they sneak back, Rory is greeted by a man outside of their windows. A man that Jazza can't see. We quickly find out that Rory has an ability that no one else has. And she's targeted by the paranormal police to aid in this investigation. And I really can't say any more than that because this book is filled with twists and turns and surprises all along the way. I will say that most of this book was pretty predictable. There weren't any huge shockers to me until toward the end of the book when things just got crazy and I literally couldn't put the book down. What I love about Maureen Johnson is that she can imbue humor into pretty much any situation. Hey guys..this murder book I just read...it's HILARIOUS! For real. I read on twitter that this series will be at least three books long and I really just can't wait for more more more!!!

2 comments:

My Gallery of Worlds said...

I don't know what it is about Jack the ripper storylines...but they scare the bajeebers out of me!!! I'm always a fan of humor though :D

Marg said...

This was one of my favourite books of last year! Really looking forward to the sequel!