Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

Well this book was a fun little charmer. This is actually the first novel that I've read by Maureen Johnson, believe it or not, and I can say that after reading it, I'm definitely a fan. Before this, the only book I had read by her was Let it Snow where she wrote on of the three parts of the book. But this one is her all by herself. And lucky me, I have the sequel autographed to me from her :) This book tells the tale of Ginny, a teenage girl, on a journey all over Europe after receiving a package from her dead aunt. Shortly after her aunt dies, an aunt that she hasn't seen in years but used to be quite close to, Ginny receives a package. The package has thirteen envelopes in it and instructions that tell her to get on a plane to London, bring only enough money for bare essentials, she can only pack a back pack, and she can't bring a purse. This is exactly something that Ginny's aunt would do seeing as she just disappeared out of the blue sending postcards a year ago. So Ginny does it. She gets on a plane and heads to London, and envelope by envelope, she's given a different task that retraces her aunt's life, bringing her to many different countries and having many different and unique experiences. I loved this one...I really, really did. It was filled with charm, sadness, hilariousness...a little bit of everything. I can see why Johnson is such a loved author. She paints scenarios that are so outlandish, but seem so normal at the same time. And she always makes it entertaining. Can't wait to discover more of her!

No comments: