Monday, June 21, 2010

Recycle this Book Edited by Dan Gutman

I picked up this book on a whim at the library and I'm so glad that I did. It's a quick read and a fun read and it's been such a huge inspiration. It's a book that's written for children and teens and it contains essays from 100 children's authors on things that you can do to "go green" or different ways to help protect the Earth. There are some wonderful contributors here! Laurie Halse Anderson, Libba Bray, Lois Lowry, Susan Patron, Rick Riordan, Jon Scieszka, Susan Beth Pfeffer, Shannon Hale, and many many more.... Each author provides their own tips on what they do in their own homes to contribute to saving the earth. Or they make a suggestion as to what each of us might be able to do in our own communities. Things like starting a community vegetable garden. Or having your kids organize a toy exchange at school instead of throwing away old toys. This book got me excited about composting! It got me excited about conserving water in unique ways! It got me excited about eliminating fuel from life as much as possible. There are so many little changes that I can make that can make a big difference. I think it's so wonderful that this book is written for children. Children often feel powerless in this world, and this book puts control in their hands. It gives them concrete ideas that they can do that can make a real difference to the world. And so many of the things in this book are really fun too. The great thing about the book is that it lets children police their parents! Lets them become the "environmental police". And what parent can say no to that when they're making such positive changes? In the intro to the book, the suggestion is made that everyone who reads this book should tell three friends about it...and then those three friends will tell three more friends and so on. The idea is that each person who reads this book will hopefully put into action some of the ideas that are given. And as word spreads about the book, that's more and more individual, positive change being made. So I'm doing my part here in spreading the word. And I'm certainly making some positive changes myself! And I'm having a blast doing it :)

No comments: