Sunday, April 11, 2010

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

Last night I had every intention of reading a couple of chapters of Will Grayson, Will Grayson and then watching some tv maybe and then going to bed. I know, exciting plans for a Saturday night, right? You can see where this is going. Yes, I ended up reading the remaining 210 pages of the book because I could not put the freaking book down!!! There was literally not a single thing about this book that I didn't like. Except for one character, but that's ok because said character was annoying as HELL. Remember when Ana and I debated over The Screwed Up Life of Charlie the Second and My Most Excellent Year trying to find a winner for the first Nerds Heart YA tournament? Remember how there were things that each of us liked both books but there were things that both lacked for each of us. Charlie came off a tad too angsty and angry and could be a bit harsh and judgemental at times. I thought My Most Excellent Year was TOO idealistic. I loved the musical feel of the book and the "everything's gonna be alright" feeling of the book, but it wasn't realistic enough for me. Well, when I finished Will Grayson, Will Grayson, I thought to myself that this book truly captured the high school experience right in the middle of those two. It captured it beautifully. Yes, there is angst in high school. Shit, I was emo as hell in high school and I'm the first to admit it. I WORE EYELINER IN HIGH SCHOOL. There, I said it. :/ But that wasn't all that high school was. In the middle of the problems and the finding out of who you were and the falling and the getting back up and the thinking that your friends weren't there for you anymore when they were, there were great memories being made. There were constant adventures. There was music happening as a constant soundtrack to our lives. There was drama. There was the discovering of sexuality. There were early mornings and late nights. And John Green and David Levithan do such an amazing job of capturing all that in this book. Such an AMAZING job. I guess I should do a really quick synopsis of what the book is about. And by really quick I mean REALLY quick, because I can't talk long without giving away spoilers. Basically the book centers around two Will Graysons in the Chicago area, both around the age of 16/17 who are soon to cross paths. One Will Grayson is tied to his best friend Tiny who is anything but tiny. Tiny is a giant, loud, gay boy who is extremely outspoken and is currently trying to produce his first play, Tiny Dancer. Tiny is also friends with a girl named Jane who Will Grayson can't figure out if he's in love with or not. On the other side of town is another Will Grayson who is secretly in love with a boy named Isaac that he has met on the computer. Only problem is, no one knows that Will is gay. He hasn't come out yet. Will has been pretty severely depressed for a long time, living at home with only his mother and his only friend is a controlling girl named Maura who he secretly can't stand. But soon everything will change when both Wills meet. I don't know what else I can say that I haven't already. This one just needs to be read. Green and Levithan make a perfect writing pair. This book was just everything. It was entertaining, it was meaningful, it was touching. Yeah...This one will be huge.

No comments: