Wednesday, April 1, 2009

March Wrap Up and Mini Review

Here's what I read for the month of March. I have to say that it was a pretty good month for me! I read a total of 10 books and 2,659 pages. As you can see, I should probably just totally dump my rating system :p I seem to give everything that I like a 5/5...but that's not a bad thing, is it? Anyway, here's the list: 17. Voices by Ursula K. LeGuin, 2006, 341 pgs., 4.25/5 18. Alice in Sunderland: An Entertainment by Bryan Talbot, 2007, 319 pgs., 4/5 19. Pobby and Dingan by Ben Rice, 2003, 112 pgs., 4.75/5 20. As Shadows Fade by Colleen Gleason, 2009, 342 pgs., 5/5 21. Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess, 2009, 32 pgs., 5/5 22. Sorrow: A Witch Ember Tale by John Lawson, 2009, 239 pgs., 5/5 23. Little (Grrl) Lost by Charles De Lint, 2007, 271 pgs., 4.5/5 24. Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary, 2009, 535 pgs., 4.5/5 25. The Latent Powers of Dylan Fontaine by April Lurie, 2008, 224 pgs., 5/5 26. Hey Nostradamus! by Douglas Coupland, 2003, 244 pgs., 5/5 Favorites were Sorrow, The Latent Powers of Dylan Fontaine and Hey Nostradamus...least favorites..Alice in Sunderland..I know many of you loved it, and I thought it was done wonderfully but it won't be on my top books of the year. Oh yeah! Which reminds me..I still haven't announced the winner of my favorite books of the year so far contest! That would be Kailana!! Congrats Kelly...let me know which of my five favorite books you want. She guessed four correct books. There was actually only one person who guessed all 5 and it was Bart....but then he said that he didn't want to be entered :p Here were the top five books: 1. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks 2. A Fine and Private Place 3. Sorrow 4. Old Man’s War 5. The Latent Powers of Dylan Fontaine Hey Nostradamus would DEFINITELY be added to that list now though!

---------------------------------------------

12I finished another book last night, but it was after midnight so I figure I'll count it for April. It was Poppy Z. Brite's Antediluvian Tales. I checked this one out from the library and was surprised when I saw that they had it! It's a Subterranean Press edition...but then again, Poppy is a local author so I'm guessing they stock all of her stuff. I wish I could say that I loved this one..I really do, but I can't. It's only 114 pages of short stories and it took me 3 days to read it. A couple of the stories are good, but overall I just couldn't get into it. She ends on a high note though with "The Last Good Day of My Life". A non-fictional account of one of her trips to Australia right before Katrina. The problem with this one to me is that it almost seemed gimmicky. All of the stories take place in New Orleans or the surrounding metro area and I just felt like she used every New Orleans reference that she could. Maybe it's because I live here...who knows. Maybe it would be more appealing to someone outside of the city. Don't let this distract you from her work though! If you're looking for fantastic teenage horror fiction that's a little risque, I highly recommend Lost Souls and Drawing Blood...I love those books. Exquisite Corpse was too disturbing even for me, but some may like it....Can't recommend this one though.

-------------------------------------------------------

Finally, is anyone else getting attacked with spam like crazy lately? And my filter isn't even catching it all....it's driving me nuts! Really, I don't need my penis enlarged nor do my readers....you don't, right?

No comments: