Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Fables Vol. 3 by Bill Willingham

fablesvol3Fables Vol. 3: Storybook Love by Bill Willingham 190 pgs. 2004 4/5 I could sit here and rant on and on about how much I love this series, but I suspect that will get old after awhile seeing as there are quite a few volumes of this series out now. So instead, I think I'll start doing mini-reviews for now on about them. Of course I do have to rant a little bit. Book 3 is just as amazing as it's two predecessors. Bill Willingham can tell one hell of a story and I want to get my hands on everything the man has written. And the artwork for the Fables series is incredible. I can't even imagine the amount of time spent on each issue of this series. I think my favorites of the artwork are the covers by James Jean. His artwork is incredible. Volume 3 of Fables gives us a few different stories. The first tells the tale of Jack during the American Civil War as he gets into yet another bad idea. He wins a bag that is able to capture anything through a game of poker. As most of Jack's tricks turn out, it's not so good. The next story was amazing. A Mundy (that would be one of us non-fairy tale people) has threatened Bigby Wolf with the fact that he is on to the Fables. However, he thinks they're vampires. Jack realizes that this man must be stopped, but will some go too far in stopping him. We begin to see Bluebeard's truly evil side during this tale. Bluebeard's evil side comes out even more during the main story of this volume, Storybook Love. Bluebeard has been keeping a criminal safe and upon this knowledge potentially being let out, he decides that Snow White and Bigby would be better off dead. During this story we also learn more about Snow and Bigby's relationship and where it may be headed. Loved this one. And finally, we have a wonderful little story of how girls came Smalltown - the home of all of the tiny people. Loved this volume as much as the other two and I REALLY can't wait to read volume 4 now!!

No comments: