Friday, April 18, 2008

Fables Vol. 1 by Bill Willingham

I think I'm the last one to start reading this series but I'm so glad that I finally have. Not everyone is a huge fan of stories that take fairy tales out of their normal context and put them into a different one, but I've always enjoyed that. And that's exactly what Fables is. The basic story behind Fables is that all of the creatures and folk of fairy tales and stories have been exiled from their land after a great evil has taken it over. They have set up shop in no place other than New York. Here in New York, King Cole reigns supreme while Snow White oversees everything as Mayor of the Fable world. They must remain secret from the mundanes (that would be us normal folk). Every fairy tale character you can imagine makes appearances throughout the comic. In volume 1, we are faced with a crime scene. Rose Red, sister of Snow White has gone missing and her apartment is found completely upturned and covered in blood by her boyfriend Jack (of the beanstalk fame). Bigby aka the big bad wolf sets to solving the mystery in these first 5 issues that are gathered in volumed one. I can't wait to read the rest of this series. It's such a refreshing read brought to us by Vertigo with amazing writing by Bill Willingham and a fantastic art team. I loved the James Jean covers and would really like to get some prints of some of them. I'll have to look into that. I'm sure I'll be picking up Volume 2 soon!

No comments: