Friday, February 1, 2008

The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World by Harry Harrison

savestheworld.jpgThis is going to end my affair with the Stainless Steel Rat for a little while...at least for a few books. I'll probably be back for one or two more adventures by the end of February though ;) It's hard to stay away from these - they're so much fun! was probably my least favorite of the three that I've read so far, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't good. I just loved the first two so much that it's hard to top them! This one opens up with James DiGriz's world going hazy. Everyone around him is slowly disappearing and we learn that this is because there is a time war going on. His mission (there has to be a mission!) stop the time war and literally, save the world! The rat travels back 30,000 years to a very strange planet called "Earth" to the year 1975. As you can imagine, it's quite comical at times and there's some really good social commentary to be had here. DiGriz has to find a man by the name of "He" who is the culprit behind this time war, a man in search of ultimate control. The fate of the world, his existence, his wife's existence, and his planet lies on his shoulders. Can he stop He in time before his world is erased? I think that this one was a little awkward for me because of all of the time travel stuff. This novel was so short and I just got sort of confused with some of the time travel elements...I found myself just nodding my head along with some of the plot. But I really enjoyed the story for the most part. Napoleon Bonaparte even showed up in it! So with this book read, I've finally completed my 4th book of the year. Sad, huh? The end of January and I've only read 4 books...2 of them being under 200 pages. I have some serious catching up to do with all these challenges and review copies. Next up is one that counts as a challenge book and a review copy! The next book in the Fablehaven series! Yay! I've been looking forward to this one since last May. One last thing, I went and saw Juno tonight, and if you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it! It was such a wonderful movie--funny, sweet, heartwarming, snort inducing, filmed really well, great soundtrack and the acting was just phenomenal. I know that it's nominated for a bunch of awards and I'm really hoping that it takes them all home!

No comments: