Saturday, March 3, 2007

The Prestige


Magic is a pleasure bred deep within us all. If for a moment we can be taken away from a world that has become normal, we call that magic. Reading a fantasy novel can be magical, seeing a wonderful film can be magical, noticing an intimate moment in the world can be magical.

The Prestige is truly a magical movie. While it's plot focuses on magic and illusions, the real magic comes in the portrayal of human emotions in this movie. The Prestige is a story of love; a story of obsessions, revenge, identities, and trickery all done in the name of love. Love can become obsessive at times. Love for another person or love for perfection.

The movie follows two rival magicians in London. Both are trying to achieve the ultimate performance. What starts off as a friendship ends in a competition so fierce that nothing is forsaken. Both magicians strive for the secret (or the prestige) of the others trick. What one has the other wants. I don't want to say too much more as I don't want to give away the movie for those who have not seen it. But it is wonderful, and I would recommend buying this one rather than renting it. You'll want to see it again as soon as it's over.

The acting was superb in this movie. I'm becoming more and more of a Christian Bale fan. I've always liked him, but I've only recently come to respect him so much as an actor. He was amazing in this movie. The surprise performance of the movie for me was David Bowie as Nikolha Tesla. He was wonderful! I expected his acting to be forced, but it was perfect. Nods to him. Hugh Jackman is wonderful as always, as is the gorgeous Scarlett Johansen. I've come to find that I like just about any movie that she is in. Michael Caine is wonderful as always and has that same charm that he always has.

The movie was filmed beautifully and captured the era perfectly. Every scene has a eerie yet comforting darkness about it and it is the total lack of special effects that makes this movie so wonderful and so authentic. The story relies much more on human emotions and interaction than the magic itself. I would've been happy with just a movie about magic, but what makes The Prestige so wonderful is that it does an amazing job at portraying the human psyche and the lengths that we go to for obsessions and for perfection.

2 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Cracked me up to wander over here briefly over the weekend to see that you watched this, seeing as how I went out and bought it Saturday to watch with friends from out of town who had not seen it.

Even better movie on a second viewing. I look forward to watching the extras on the DVD.

chrisa511 said...

I haven't had the chance to have a second viewing yet, but I'm looking forward to it. It really was a great movie. I bought it without ever seeing it first...I was that confident that I'd love it, and I did.