Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Home from the interview

Today was the interview for the guidance counselor position, and I think it went really well! It's a little different than normal counseling, but I knew that going into it. Alot of this job involves scheduling classes with the students, keeping them up to date on TOPS, assessments, etc. but it also includes therapeutic work as needed with both the students and the parents. I was told that it's important to interact with the kids and go to football games and such, and that would be no problem for me. Gives me an excuse to be a kid again.

The most promising thing is that she said she's looking for someone with experience in the clinical stuff, pertaining to specific disorders. This is perfect because I'm fresh out of school with all kinds of clinical knowledge. She was excited about that and said that I could give a few pointers to the veterans over there. She also liked that I'm exposed to the different medications used to treat disorders, because they don't know alot about all of that. She said that she wants to start doing some groups at the school and liked that I had experience with that too. So needless to say, she was excited that I have the "fresh out of school" perspective. She also liked that I had an insider's perspective on how bad adolescence can get. I met with the principal and assistant principal as well, both of whom remembered me and said that they were glad to see me.

Pretty easy interview. Not as much of a problem as I thought I would have. So now I have to wait until next week to do the second interview. She said she'll "definitely be calling me soon," which sounds promising. I find about about the pay, etc. at the next step. I have a specific number in my head and they need to hit that. Oh! She's also an LPC supervisor, so I can get my LPC through her which rocks. That can cost a pretty penny. All in all, I'm excited and it will be nice to have summers off.

In the meantime, I have a splitting migraine. I took my meds, just waiting for them to kick in. So if you are awaiting a phone call from me *cough*jroy*cough* I'll call you as soon as this damn headache goes away.

6 comments:

Quater-lifer said...

Awesome on the interview ... did you even go to high school football games in hs??

chrisa511 said...

uh...yeah, I was in marching band

Carl V. Anderson said...

Glad it went well...now comes the part that sucks, the waiting game.

chrisa511 said...

I know...I wish they'd just tell you right there how you did :p Oh well, makes for more things to blog about.

Literacy-chic said...

Sounds great. Do they need an English teacher? And Spanish? ;)

chrisa511 said...

They said they're always looking for new teachers and I know they've been short staffed since Katrina. Y'all should come down here!