Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A Hodgepodge post

First thing on the list is that I got Neverwhere in the mail today which made me very happy after a very sad day. I don't know when I'll have a chance to watch it, but I'm very much looking forward to it. I can't wait to see if what the novel looked like in my head compares with the mini series. Review to come whenever I get a chance to watch it.

Second thing is sort of a question to the general public. I've learned that identity crises/disorders are alot more common in children than I thought. I've seen a couple of children with identity issues pertaining to gender. I was wondering if anyone knows a good book that explains gender identity in children so that I can read up on it a bit. I know that it can come from many things, but a book may aid in helping me help others with these issues. What frustrates me is when the parent thinks that their child has something wrong with them and makes their child feel guilty when the child is just trying to figure out who he or she is. My guess is that sometimes, the parent(s) may actually be the cause of a child's identity crisis. If I could find a good book on the topic, it would also be able to give me something to suggest to the parents of a child with an identity crisis so that the parent can understand it a little bit better.

In a somewhat related topic, I was told by one of the social workers that a good book to recommend for effective parenting and disciplinary actions is 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12 by Thomas Phelan.

And as a reward for your efforts, here is a beautiful painting by one of my favorite artists, Yoshitaka Amano:

3 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Fantastic Amano.

"I can't wait to see if what the novel looked like in my head compares with the mini series. Review to come whenever I get a chance to watch it."...it won't, but I still think you'll enjoy it.

Literacy-chic said...

The picture reminds me of Gustave Moreau. Wonderful! If you do find out more about the gender issues thing, do a post on it. I only know about it from a wacky English perspective that, in the real world, means absolutely nothing. We literature people are so pretentious sometimes!!

chrisa511 said...

lol...I plan on doing some research, so I'll post about it as soon as I discover more on the topic.